Saturday 3 July 2010

Jam Making - Blackcurrant Jam

Today was my very first attempt at making jam!

I've been in possession of an old jam pan for many years, but like many others, I haven't ever gotten round to using it, and for Christmas I was given a jam thermometer and funnel - what was stopping me now?!

7 months later......

Blackcurrant picking in my landlords garden - very sticky job and tedious as the berries are so small!! Still, managed to pick nearly 2lb of berries before my back told me it was time to stop.

I dug out one of my gran's old jam recipes, and away I went - boiling, sieving, boiling, then potting - verdict - success!! Jam set and very tasty - all in all not bad for my first attempt!

See recipe and method below if you fancy a go:

Ingredients (Makes approx 12-14 jars)
4lbs Blackcurrants
3 Pints Water
6lbs Sugar

Method
1. Add the blackcurrants and water to the jam pan, and boil for 20 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and sieve the cooked blackcurrants into a large bowl.
3. Transfer the sieved mixture back to the jam pan, and then return to the boil.
4. Add the sugar and stir in until it dissolves.
5. Boil for a further 10 minutes (if you have a jam thermometer, ensure it reaches 105 degrees Celsius).
6. Check that the jam has set by spooning a little onto a cold plate. Allow to cool, then run your finger through it - if it wrinkles then the jam is ready to set.
7. Using a jam funnel and ladle, transfer the hot jam into clean jars and allow to cool completely. Cover the tops with wax discs, then lid.

2 comments:

haddock said...

and lovely jam it is too, have eaten my jar already (....hint)

Bexter said...

Luckily, we have one more big jar left with your name on it! I'll be trying Raspberry soon - hope it tastes as good as the blackcurrant!